Friday 30 January 2009

Fried-Day


I am starting to think that Friday's are cursed. But is it all in my head or are Friday's truly turning into FRIED-DAYS?
When I returned to work after my first daughter was born, I was fortunate enough to work for a good little company who understood and supported a flex schedule. I was able to return to the office for four days a week and then work from home for a few hours each Friday. This was perfect. With one child, this schedule fit like a glove.
Enter child number two and an office that allowed me to continue with this schedule upon my return. What a blessing...except that through a combination of factors, the Fridays of old have gone the way of the Do-do Bird.
I now have two children, neither of whom nap, who want my undivided attention on Fridays. They call it their day. And so they should. Except that the office now seems to lay claim to this day as well. The struggle to answer calls, write emails, ichat, update, confirm meetings, conference call while making grilled cheese, untangling elastics from hair, putting on shoes, wiping noses or bums seems to be getting the best of me.
Last Friday, I was down for the count and couldn't get myself up for anything...today, a week later, I found myself awake at 6:00am with a migraine to end all migraines and the knowledge that it was Friday. My day with the girls. Coincidence? Chance? I'm starting to wonder.
Sophie came upstairs at 2:30 to my darkened room and snuggled me, while trying to pop some medicine into my mouth and then she said very tenderly "you told me last night you were going to have breakfast with me and today we would have a playdate - But you didn't".
My head still ached but my heart strings were now twanging too....

1 comment:

Bee Chalmers said...

Annie...what is going over there? Should we try to have a fried day this week together? I'm considering pulling the kids out of school for some sleep in, fun, mommy time. Hope you are all WELL!!