Thursday 19 February 2009

Shar Pei Complex


I have been writing, lately, about being grateful and working very hard at being positive. I am taking a departure from that in this entry. I have a dilemma and it is trite and completely vain. I do not know what to do with the criss-cross pattern of wrinkles that have taken up residence on my forehead.

I kind of think I have three options:

1) Suck it up, stop being so vain and live with the lines that are me
2) Get myself a french woman's facelift - a solid set of bangs
3) Actually consider (gasp) Botox

I know, I know...Botox can you make you look like Nicole Kidmann (did anyone see her when she was on David Letterman? Yikes!) but I am not sure that I can deal with the grid that I stare at each morning. I just stare at my forehead and think about how smooth it appeared just 5 or 6 years ago.

I actually went to a Botox place about 2 years ago (they did free consultations) and saw a doctor who took one look at my forehead (when I was wrinkling it up as he had instructed) and he kind of made a face like "wow, or yikes" I said to him (after taking one look at his expression) "is it that bad?" to which he replied (ever so diplomatically) "Welllll, you do have a large number of very strong muscles in your forehead and they are very expressive". So. What the heck did that mean? "You would need a lot of injections to really take care of all of the individual muscles." "At least 25-30". Yea, not likely.

So, as you can guess, I went as far as a consultation and that was that. But, two years later, with the prospect of going to job interviews and hopefully finding myself in a new career, I am thinking that maybe 25-30 injections could be manageable. All of this deliberating certainly doesn't help since I am sitting here with my forehead all creased.

So, as horrible as this post may seem, it is what it is. I have a Shar Mei Complex and will continue to deliberate my options. I'll let you know when I make a decision!

2 comments:

Classic Lustre said...

They'll look at your resume and get excited. They'll call you and get excited. They'll bring you in for an interview...and get excited.

I can guarantee that the conversation after you leave is not going to be:

"Her skills are staggering! And she presents so well. I think she'd be an excellent candidate...too bad about the forehead."

Remember your teeth? Nobody noticed except you because you're already so beautiful.

But as usual, if it'll make you happy...then go for it. (I have to admit that I have NEVER noticed wrinkles on you. Must be because I'm so self-obsessed...)

Classic Lustre said...

My shar pei complex is about my stomach. It's gone relatively flat again, but oh, the wrinkles. Could you imagine Botoxing your belly? That's scraping the bottom of the "I have too much money" barrel, eh?