Wednesday 4 March 2009

Generations











So much of my life has been influenced by the wonderful female role models I have been fortunate enough to have as family. I have always had a profound connection with my maternal grandmother, who, although Danish, has lived in England since she was 18 years old. She is the same hero now as she was when I was a little girl of six, having tea with her in bed and telling her all of my stories and ideas.

Now that I am a mum of two little girls I appreciate, even more, the roles that various family members play in the world of children. My own children's connection to their grandmothers is something that I have watched develop and transform and I am always moved when I see the love and affection between the generations that I, myself, have always known.

Last summer, when I took Sophie to visit my Nin in England, we were lucky enough to have our trip coincide with a visit from my Mum and her husband. To be able to sit with my own daughter, my Mum and my grandmother was something I will remember, always. There is strength in family and if that strength could be measured, I am sure ours would be off-the-scale.

1 comment:

Susan Kent Baker said...

What a great blog! Of course, because it connects to me and Nin, you and the girls, it means more than ever, but lovely thoughts, dear, and well put. We are lucky to have these close connections, despite distances, and I have always felt blessed by the family I have.
YLM