Friday 12 February 2010

Salt of the Earth


You know what they say about people from the prairies? It's true. You really couldn't find more down-to-earth, hard working, humble and welcoming people than those whose back yards are fields of wheat and whose winters are spent skating on frozen lakes and rivers. I am proud to be the daughter of my prairie hero - my Dad. A retired RCMP, brother, son, Uncle, husband, Granddad and Dad, he is Prairie through-and-through.

I was lucky enough, in October of 2009, to be able to take a couple of days to join my Dad in Saskatchewan for my cousins wedding. Not only was it a beautiful wedding but in the 36 hours I was there, I packed in time with my grandma, visits with cousins, uncles and aunts, a trip to the old farm (that my Grandma and Grandpa had owned and run and I had known as a child) and many good chats with my Dad as we drove the Trans Canada to and from different events.

People who haven't spent time in the prairies often have some kind of idea that they aren't missing anything - they couldn't be more wrong. There is something so incredibly powerful and beautiful about the prairies. Whenever I am there, I yearn for more time - time to explore the little towns that haven't changed in 150 years and "pop" up every 20 miles along the historically rich CPR, time to walk through the fields of my Uncle and Aunts farm, time to explore the abandoned homesteads, time to watch all the wildlife that make the prairies their home.

One day, I promise to take my children to the prairies so that they too can be charmed by the people, the countryside, the smells and the sky that goes on forever. As you can see, I am proud to be a "little bit prairie".

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Loved this .. I'm a Prairie Brat .. born in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan. We drove from Ontario to Vancouver through the Prairies many years ago with all the kids in tow and visited the location of my bootlegging grandfather's candy store. Everyone needs to experience that long drive through the Prairies where you can see forever ....