Wednesday 11 March 2009

holding my breath







A dear friend of mine, whose daughter was born three days after Sophie (but I budged and was supposed to let me friend have her long-awaited and overdue child first) very occasionally takes her daughter out of school for the day to have a "fun and free day". I loved this idea and thought that it made sense to allow a child, in their first year of school, to feel rewarded for their hard work and dedication to their new schedule. I also imagined that like a "mental health day" sometimes offered to employees, this free day for hard-working children could be a tradition carried through the life of their education. I imagined that this day spent with Mum (or Dad) doing something wonderful and fun would encourage their continued dedication.

Yesterday afternoon I decided that a day (today) spent with Soph would be just the thing that both her and I would enjoy (perhaps I was thinking that a day with Sophie would also take my mind off the daunting and exhausting task of looking for a job...).

We had finished dinner and were just about to go and put the girls in the bath when I said to Sophie "Lovey, I was thinking that maybe you could miss school tomorrow and we could have a day together doing something fun." She looked at me for a very long time, tilted her sweet little head to the side and said "Mama, I have school tomorrow and I don't want to miss a day because I learn a lot, but I'll do something with you on the weekend or next week because it's Spring Break".

My tail was immediately tucked between my legs and all I could say was "Of course. Well, I am proud of you for being so committed to school, Soph". The teachings of a five-year-old could never be more priceless.

3 comments:

Classic Lustre said...

Yeah, REALLY mum! Sheesh.

But still - what a great idea!

Bee Chalmers said...

Am I the dear friend? Even if I'm not, thank you for having us over today. I know I invited myself and we trashed the place pretty good, but it was so nice to see you and Soph. And that chicken soup...so good! Maybe I can still get Piper to come over next week when Jake is away and we can have an adult date? KISSES.

Susan Kent Baker said...

And to think that that same precious little girl was so tortured by the thought of actually starting school last September that she was not sleeping at night!! Aren't children amazing??? I believe you may have a budding academic in Sophie - what do you think?
Love Mum/Nana