Sunday 22 March 2009

Nature's Detox



With all that is going on these days (lay-offs, money concerns etc) I have felt the "pull" to ensure that I am at my fighting best. I have been inspired by friends and family and know that in order to be the best for my family, I need to take care of myself. One of the "pulls" I have been resisting (I have already had one mission abort) is the detox "Get your body working well again" diet. The last detox I tried to do was one that I really thought I could stick with. Sadly $100+ dollars later, I threw in the towel on the evening of day one! What a quitter!

So, I had recently been doing a little research and trying to figure out if and when I might try to do another detox. However, my research had been happening before I went away to Tofino with my husband for 3 days. Upon my return (this evening), I have decided that I have found the best detox available (to me). It is called the "getting-away-from-the-city-and-people-and-my-computer-and-being-in-nature" Detox. It works in all the ways that most of the detox diets I have researched, claim to work. It really does.

My detox includes the following in no particular order:
-sleeping in a cozy little cabin nestled on the shoreline (www.middlebeach.com)
-eating the most delicious, homemade, local foods (www.sobo.ca)
-watching and participating in community events (the Whale Festival Celebration)
-hiking beach trails
-breathing oxygen-rich, salty air
-talking (in full sentences) with ones spouse
-holding hands
-reading magazines and books whenever and wherever
-listening to the wind and the sounds of waves on the rocks


So, my detox of choice, which has turned out to be our annual trip to Tofino (sans children) is one body-purifying act that I know I can complete and not have the slightest sense that I might have to give up after one day. I think I could be on to something...

2 comments:

Classic Lustre said...

You ARE on to something! This is a 'diet' we could all use.

Susan Kent Baker said...

I think this is a remedy for all parents of young children! Necessary for body AND soul!
So glad you and Chris had such a great, relaxing time.
Love always,
MUM