Sunday 22 March 2009

Bonus "Feel-Good"


Strolling the shore of Long Beach on the West Coast of Vancouver Island is heavenly. It has all the elements that inspire poetry and novels. Miles of beach, wind, crashing waves, rocky outcroppings creating swirls and whitewater, diving seagulls and driftwood scattered in random patterns on the sand. It is a scene that I could sit for hours just absorbing. Nothing and everything happens when you are on the beach.
On Saturday, arriving on the beach, preparing for a long walk, one of the first things that both my husband and I noticed was the tangle of the ocean's finery (sea kelp, driftwood, shells, seaweed) on the sand and amongst almost every tangle, an intruding piece of plastic. We couldn't walk four or five steps without passing a bottle, a broken plastic cup, a plastic bag, the skeleton of a coffee machine, plastic food containers, broken plastic plates and the list goes on.
Neither my husband nor I were comfortable "Strolling" and pretending that we weren't stepping around a nasty plastic bag or a plastic Pepsi bottle. It felt wrong. This was where the thoughtlessly "tossed" bucket (yet another plastic item tossed overboard) became, ironically, our container to clean up the beach. A long, strong, stick put through the hole in the container created a makeshift "hobo-bucket" that we quickly filled not once, not twice but three times with garbage.
Our romantic stroll along the beach certainly took on a new look but it became a walk with purpose and I know that we both felt a sense of goodness as we made our way back to the car.
There would be more garbage washed up the next day, this was a certainty, but at least for one afternoon, Long Beach could feel proud for all her natural, unspoiled beauty.

http://www.naturalnews.com/022885.html

4 comments:

Andrea said...

I am writing my own comment to thank my Mum, my teacher and editor and someone I am grateful for every day.

Love you

Me xo

Cheryl said...

Wonderful story Andrea.

Bee Chalmers said...

Picking up garbage on a stroll...so you and Rat. Glad you guys got away. It looks and sounds dreamy. I would say I'm jealous, but I am about to fly away in 5 sleeps. OK, I'll say it, I'm jealous! I wouldn't mind my husband all to myself for a weekend.

Susan Kent Baker said...

Wonderful piece, my love - it made me proud of you both, being so caring of our precious environment. Sad, too, to think what we as humans have done to our poor planet.
Love you, too!!
YLM